Steamed Pears for Dry Cough
Though it’s no longer cold and flu season, some people I’ve seen are suffering from a lingering dry cough. The cough could also be from allergies. So, in addition to treating the immune system, what can you do? How about a Traditional Chinese Medicine food cure?
TCM food cures are remedies that have been passed from practitioner to practitioner, family to family for centuries. Just like we’ve now discovered that chicken soup really can help address the symptoms of the common cold, so too can some of the TCM food cures help modern health issues.
- Chinese pears
- or other pears
- Cut the top off one pear (don't toss it out)
- Core the pear
- Fill the centre of the pear with honey
- Put the top back on the pear
- Steam the pear for 45 to 60 minutes
- Pear should be very soft
- Let pear cool for 10 to 15 minutes
- Eat the whole pear and juices
- Do this for 3 nights in a row