Sometimes people think that I eat healthy 24-7-365. I do eat healthy. But I do also indulge. Especially this time of year. It’s hard not to when sweets and treats are all around. And, why would I want to miss out? I don’t!
But sometimes even the delicious goodies get tiresome. I start to dislike feeling the sugar highs and lows. I remember why I like to eat healthy–I feel better! So, I back away from the boxes of chocolate, the decorated cookies, and the egg nog (I like the almond milk or coconut milk versions). And I look for my usual healthy food.
Healthy Christmas Breakfast
But sometimes I want to fancy it up a bit. This recipe offers a balance of healthy, while feeling like it’s a treat. I think I’m going to make this easy and healthy Christmas breakfast.
- 1 cup steel-cut oats (choose gluten-free if you want or need to)
- 4 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 2 medium apples, chopped
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 T maple syrup (or honey) * you can modify the amount based on your own sweet tooth
- Add everything to your slow cooker
- Cook on low for 8 hours (or high for 4 hours)
- Stir it again before serving in bowls and adding your fave topping (raisins, slices of apple, pear, cacao nibs, your choice)