Ready to do a cleanse, but afraid that your reaction to a cleanse might be strong? Preparing your body can help, so start with these simple steps.
1. Drink lots of water. Water is necessary to move waste products out of your cells and out of your body. For an added boost, squeeze some fresh lemon into your water (always room temperature or warmer to follow TCM principles) and drink it first thing in the morning.
2. Drink some detoxifying teas. Dandelion tea, while very bitter, can help cleanse the liver. Or, try a pre-made blend that you can find in many health food stores.
3. Eat detoxifying foods such as:
- – Burdock root (the Japanese call it gobo) is a blood cleanser.
- – Mung beans are often used in soups, but make sure to soak them overnight first! You can add them to a variety of soups and stews or try this Mung Bean Casserole. http://www.veg-world.com/recipes/mung-bean.htm
- – Beets are blood cleansers. Pick your favourite…here are beet recipes galore. http://www.justvegetablerecipes.com/inxbet.html
- – Eat your greens! Need an easier way? Use green drink powders such as spirulina, wheatgrass, or chlorella or a veggie and fruit-based greens powder such as “Berry Greens”. Simply mix in water or juice.
4. Eat more fibre which helps scrape the intestinal walls of their waste and absorbs some waste products on the way out. Examples include flax seeds, bran, psyllium husk (but make sure you drink it with lots of water). I prefer flax seeds, hemp seeds, and vegetable fibres. My favourite fibre blend is one called “4 Fiber” as it also contains herbs that help support intestinal health.
5. Take vitamin C which helps the body to produce glutathione, a liver compound that drives away toxins.
6. Exercising causes you to sweat and wastes can be eliminated through your pores. Jumping rope is a great way to stimulate your lymph circulation.
7. Other lymphatic system stimulants include dry brushing your skin, alternating hot and cold water in your shower, and lymphatic supplements such as “Lymphdiaral”.
Do you have a favourite recipe or tip for helping your body detoxify?